Sunday, January 15, 2006

This I did not know

Of all the places, The AutoProphet has some interesting details about who owns Caribou Coffee and how they run their business. Apparently, they require Caribou to operate under Shari'ah law. As you might guess, I'm not a big fan; however, they seem to implement Shari'ah in ways that do little damage. For instance, the company's financial dealings are their own to decide, and I'm not sure I care to have pork in my coffee anyway (though they may lose my business to Bruegger's for their bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on an Asiago cheese bagel; man is that good). However, there are aspects of Shari'ah law with which I vehemently disagree, and though they don't announce it, perhaps these are followed or to be implemented given the chance. That, mainly, is why I may not spend my money there. If a Muslim found out that my business practices offended him (due to his religion or, really, for any other reason), I would not be surprised if he didn't want to fund the enterprise. Therefore, Starbucks it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad. I love Caribou Coffee--well, did anyway. Isn't there a single lovable coffee place out there?