Sunday, January 15, 2006

Kaus and design

Mickey Kaus may know a lot, but clearly his automotive styling tastes run counter to the majority of humans. Many people think the Challenger, or even the Mustang, is a better looking car. But with the Camaro concept winning awards like this, no one seems to be calling it "horrid". I for one prefer the Camaro concept's look to that of the Challenger and Mustang. It has a modern treatment of the classic Camaro lines baked in, and I see that as preferable to a basic Xerox of the original shape, e.g. the Challenger. I think the Camaro makes the other two look old and dated, but of course they are supposed to look old and dated. However, I'm not old, so why would I want an old looking car? I could always buy an original (or, at least, a copy) in any event; you might retort that safety, emissions and interior design have come a long way in the last forty years. You would be right, and that's why people don't buy the old cars and why there's a market for these retro machines. But I figure, if you're going to update the safety, emissions, reliability, ergonomics and interior design, why would you want to mate that with forty year old styling? Thus, the Camaro concept is victorious.

No comments: