Thursday, July 20, 2006

Tesla!

Thanks to Autoblog's exhaustive coverage (here, here and here), I now have a new car to drool over. The Tesla Roadster is a fully electric supercar (as fast as a Porsche 911 Carrera S to 60 mph), in the spirit of a Lotus Elise, that will sell for approximately $80,000. It goes 250 miles on each charge, recharges fully in less than four hours and looks fantastic. I may not have the 80 grand to lay down on a hedonistic machine like this, but if I did and was so inclined, I can't think of a good reason to buy anything else. For starters, it's right in the running with every other car for this price, and it does all its work silently. To me, that's as cool as the symphony from a Ferrari's pipes. Moreover, there's no reason any sports car of this caliber should travel more than 250 miles from home without being trailered. I'm sorry, but highway miles on a Lamborghini just don't make sense. But most of all, $80,000 for a sports car of the traditional persuasion is, well, boring; been there, done that (metaphorically, of course). It's high time to try something new.

No comments: